Sunday, December 28, 2008

December 2008






Lots of firsts and good news in December. December is loaded with birthdays and birthday parties in our family. Emma likes these as they come with ice cream, the one and only dairy product that Emma likes. Christmas was also a big thumbs up. I have never had a child thank me so many times for presents. She opened presents and just danced all over with excitement. This was definitely one of the best Christmas' ever.

We also have insurance approval for Emma's cochlear implant - better late than never! Hopefully sometime in January, Emma will be able to hear. This is incredible news. There is no definite date yet and if I've learned anything from the adoption process, it is not to get my hopes up too high until I've got a date in writing. But, I confess, I'm getting pretty eager for Emma to begin to hear. She wants to talk so badly and any little bit of sound that she could get could help her with this.

We also found out that she has been approved to begin in a nearby deaf/hoh TC classroom. This means that Emma will be able to attend a classroom where there is both spoken language and ASL. She is learning sign quickly and is so eager to express herself. We know that it will be a big help for her to have teachers and peers that use sign language as well. She will also get more speech therapy and can get the follow up therapy she will need for her cochlear implant. She starts in her new school after the Christmas break. On the sad side, she had made so many friends at the local school and it was hard for her to tell them goodbye. They had a big party for her. I can't begin to say how supportive the local school and her classmates have been. There are no words to explain how thankful I am for all of them.

Pray for us as we move into January 2009!

No comments: