Sunday, January 25, 2009

Waiting!

January has been a very busy month. Emma recycled the Christmas stocking decorations and made a warrior outfit out of them. She's also been having a lot of fun playing with the tea set that she received from her great aunt. Every month is full of new firsts here - too many to remember. I should be writing it all down, but, just like with my biological children, I'm pretty bad about that. Emma's sign language is coming along in leaps and bounds now - longer sentences and more words. It is still hard to communicate at times, but getting much easier. Her brother, Daniel is a fantastic signer as well. He can sign faster than I can. It is fun to watch the two of them playing together. One of the most exciting things this month was Emma's cochlear implant surgery. I've been nervous for weeks about this and that - all those random mother worries. But, she came through it just fine and healed up quickly. She's anxious for it to heal so that she can get back to swimming again. Emma loves to swim! This Wednesday her implant will be activated. The audiologist said they tested the implant during surgery and her nerve reacted well. I don't know what that means exactly, just that it's good. He seemed very optimistic, despite the fact that Emma is getting her implant so late. Just a few more days and Emma will be hearing. We hope to tape her activation so we can post it! More later!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Activation day is so exciting! Our son, Jeffrey, adopted a year ago had his implant and was activated early in January! He's doing well....but it is a lot of work! I wish Emma well and much success! Check out Jeffrey's activation day... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNfps8lSqQ

Peace!

Judy Peckenpaugh

Elizabeth said...

Great blog! I hope you'll consider adding it to the aggregator at Deaf Village (www.deafvillage.com) -- we'd love to have you as part of our community!

Anonymous said...

I was just looking at all the Heritage Familie Blogs hoping for updates and I just saw this video of Emma. I love when she runs over to her Dad to hug him. It brought tears to my eyes to see her so happy with her family. Post some updated photo's soon :)
Stephanie