Saturday, March 19, 2011

Recently Inspired

I was recently inspired by another blog - so I'm updating this one!  These are actually Christmas pictures.  See our Christmas guinea pigs?  They are still alive and doing well - keeping Emma busy feeding them & cleaning their cage.  They are very loved.  

While the pictures are old - spring is in the air.  Discussions of gardens and baby chicks have begun.  We're praying for a good crop year this year.  We've seen enough floods to last us for awhile.  It would be nice to have a farming year that didn't involve the words "crop insurance".  Not that the insurance checks aren't appreciated - but would rather have actual corn and beans.  That is - after all - the goal of this farming thing!  ;-)
Emma was on spring break this week and so we were off and making the rounds to specialists.  For the first time since her cochlear implants Little Miss Chatterbox decided to actually talk to Dr. Lusk - the wonderful surgeon who had faith in her ability to learn language even when the other specialists were shaking their heads.  When we visited last September, Emma wouldn't say a word.  As soon as we got in the elevator, she giggled and said "I'm shy!" 

So - felt truly blessed that on this visit she told Dr. Lusk her name and asked him how he was.  It's always harder for her understand and talk when she's nervous - but she did a great job.  It helps that we are in the middle of a language EXPLOSION right now.  She's talking in sentences almost all of the time - short sentences, but lots of words.  When I picked her up from camp this week, one of the workers met me at the door and was just beaming, saying "I can't believe how much more she is talking now than at Christmas time!"
  
This helps ease my worries.  We all sign now - so we switch & combine the two languages pretty naturally in our home and communication isn't much of an issue.  But I know I won't always be around either - so every word she can say and understand will help her to communicate with the hearing world when I am not there to interpret.  

ANYWAY - that's about it!  

Oh!  Except that I'm headed back to China in May - back to Emma's orphanage as the program coordinator for a preschool that is going in there.  Super excited about this!  And also VERY busy!  So, I better get back to work!  

Love & Blessings!











No comments: